My sister and I would sing this quite a bit growing up.
The last time I sang this was for my grandfather as he lied motionless in the hospital, before his death. I remember the immense power that was in that room. It was a very tender experience singing with my brother. One I will never forget. I felt an amazing amount of love in the room. I wanted to sing for my grandfather more than anyone in the world and I wanted to sing my best. I knew he was proud of me including my performance.
One night before he died, this song came across my mind. I knew my grandpa was about to have his final breath and I felt like I needed to let him go. I didn't want my sunshine to be taken from me. However, I knew that it was time. It was hard to know that things wouldn't be the same. There would no longer be phone calls of my grandfather telling me how much he loved me. Yet, I knew that my grandfather would be in a good place. I remember after he died my Uncle Mark telling me that my grandfather would be welcomed by my other grandparents Dot & Brownie in the heavens. I felt at peace. I know that my grandparents loved my grandpa Lewis as much as I did and would take care of him. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I will be reunited with my family and friends that have already passed on someday.
I loved this rendition.
No comments:
Post a Comment